Friends of Toowong Cemetery is a volunteer group that discover and share the history and stories of Toowong Cemetery.
What we do
The Friends of Toowong Cemetery:
- research the history of Toowong Cemetery, its headstones, and the stories of the people remembered here.
- share our discoveries with the community through our guided tours, museum, self-guided walks, publications, and data.
- contribute stories of people remembered at the Toowong and Paddington cemeteries to other publications, biographical databases, and information signs around the cemetery.
- clean and conserve headstones.
- search for buried headstones in archaeological digs in the cemetery grounds.
- consult with the Brisbane City Council on future plans and the restoration of graves.
- locate marked and unmarked graves.
What we've done
The Friends of Toowong Cemetery have:
- established the Federation Pavilion, which commemorates the contribution of the delegates who attended the 1891 Australian Federation Convention that are buried at the Toowong Cemetery.
- commemorated the 140th Anniversary of the cemetery. We received an Award from the National Trust of Queensland for our work.
- provided stories for information signs at significant grave sites.
- renamed cemetery roads after notable people buried nearby, added the road names to Google Maps, Apple Maps, and improved the Toowong Cemetery map to make it easier to for you to find your way around the cemetery.
- published books, a DVD, and this website.
What we're working on
Currently we are:
- planning to erect an honour board at the cemetery's main entrance to commemorate people who have served their nation in military uniform and now rest in Toowong Cemetery.
- photographing every headstone in the cemetery.
- encouraging the community to volunteer through simple one-off tasks shown on this site.
Contact Us if you'd like to apply to join. Applications are subject Management Committee approval.
The Friends of Toowong Cemetery Association Inc. is a:
- Queensland Incorporated Association: IA17170.
- Registered Australian Business, ABN: 12868524011 that holds holds public liability insurance with History Queensland Inc. for $20 million
- Registered Charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC)
Our Bank details are:
- Branch: NAB Toowong
- BSB: 084-424
- Account Number: 67-601-3012